Thursday, July 25, 2002

Evaporate
I said yesterday that that’s what some pro-Palestinians want us to do. This is probably not quite accurate. You already know I have a slight tendency to exaggerate. I think the more informed of them don’t really want us to actually evaporate. What they want, if I understand correctly, is a bi-national state. I strongly suspect that this will cause us, in effect, to evaporate. It won’t be in such a sterile fashion as “evaporation”, though, if you get my drift.

The idea of a bi-national state would be very nice in a perfect world, with no anti-Semitism, no Holocaust and democracy-loving, peaceful Arabs. It’s just not implementable (my speller says there’s no such word, but that’s what I want to say) in this neighborhood right now.

My basic belief is that some sort of confederation would be in order, including Israel, Palestine and Jordan, initially. Unfortunately, at this time in history this is no more than science fiction. I doubt I’ll see it in my lifetime.