Thursday, September 12, 2002

I live in dread of the next terrorist attack.
At the height of the attacks, when there was one every day, a friend confided in me that she was actually relieved when the “daily” attack happened because then she felt she could stop waiting for it and worrying. Always the bigmouth, I couldn't help pointing out that there could be more than one.

I get this sinking feeling when I hear an ambulance go by (why does their siren always make it sound like there’s more than one?) and when airplanes fly over, when I get a phone call at an unusual time, when I get a phone call at a usual time, when my eldest daughter is two seconds late getting home.

The many 9/11 commemorative specials I’ve been watching on TV have left me very jittery. I’m sure a lot of Americans can appreciate what I’m talking about.