Saturday, October 05, 2002

Friends
Fred Lapides, who is doing great stuff on Israpundit, sent me this update on the activities of what he calls my “not friends”. Now where did he get that idea? I’ll have you know, I have some very dear friends who can be seen regularly among the ten to twenty people attending pro-Palestinian demonstrations.

This lady, whom I don’t believe I’ve ever met, sounds very sweet, but a bit confused about the facts. She says: “Despite these difficult times, more and more people on both sides have come to understand that violence is not a solution”. We obviously haven’t been reading the same opinion polls. She’s also not very knowledgeable about history: “Like every occupation in history, the Israeli occupation too is doomed to failure, and will come to an end sooner or later”. You see, Bish, this is why they should be teaching more general history in Israeli schools. She sums up: “And at the end of that occupation, two vibrant states - safe, secure, independent of each other, and cooperative for the benefit of all - must inevitably emerge”. So optimistic. So naive. I pray for your vision to come true, Gila. It is also my vision. But it’s just unrealistic right now.