Monday, January 20, 2003

OK so here is the list you’ve all been waiting for: 100 songs that changed the world as compiled by Q4music.com, which modestly claims to be The World's Greatest Music Magazine Online [I don't think much of the name, I hate Q-ing and I certainly wouldn't do it 4 music (groan)].

Hmmm. Let's see what we've got here.

I think they should be defining what “changing the world” means. Notice the ethnocentrism, for one thing.

I would personally have placed “The Internationale” somewhere near the top, however I may feel about it personally. It was the first thing I thought of when I read that someone had taken the time to make such a compilation. But it seems it didn’t even cross the minds of the deep thinkers who made the suggestions for this list.

Now don’t get me wrong, I really like some of the songs on their selection, well the ones I’ve heard of before at least, but it beats me how anything by the Spice Girls could be said to have changed the world.