Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I’m not sure why, but I love this:
Be virtuous, and find yourselves a dragonslayer.

Via Alice in Texas (‘Is that a gun in my pocket, or is that a gun in my pocket?’).

Bish would probably say it was shtooyot*. Still, he didn't marry a cheerleader, did he?

And while we're on the subject, Mazal Tov to David and Zahava, my nominees for Nicest Couple of the Blogosphere (MidEast Chapter), on the occasion of their wedding anniversary.

===================

*Shtooyot = nonsense

Another thought: I'm reading Alice and I'm thinking 'This must be the most un-cool, nerdy thing I have ever read in my life'. "The truth is that goodness is never boring, because it is creative and powerful and principled". You can't get more nerdy than that. Thing is, it's true, even if it does seem so unworldly and old-fashioned.

When did we become so cynical, so self-destructively sophisticated, that we automatically ridicule such sentiments, even as we see the wisdom in them? (Maybe because there aren't enough Darcy's to go round).

It's all Heathcliff's fault. The original incredibly-sexy-but-bad-news hero.

I confess, a long time ago I thought I was getting a Heathcliff, but he turned out to be a Darcy. No, even better than a Darcy. "Goodness is never boring, because it is creative and powerful and principled". Definitely. I am the luckiest person in the world.

Now see if you can beat that for uncool nerdy-ness, not to mention shameless mushy-ness.